Iran Refuses to Surrender, Continues Successful Retaliatory Strikes

Read our editorials on the US-Israeli war on Iran here and here.

Iran rejected the conditions of the US-proposed “ceasefire” on March 25 and continued targeting US and Israeli positions as part of its defensive war.

The US proposal includes conditions Iran had already dismissed before the February 28 invasion, including limits on its ballistic missile program and its support for anti-imperialist forces in the region.

“Iran will end the war when it decides to do so and when its own conditions are met,” an Iranian official said in response to the demands.

Iranian forces have continued retaliatory strikes, successfully hitting Israeli military and industrial sites and Kuwait International Airport after Kuwait allowed the US to launch attacks on Iran from its territory.

Iran has put forward its own conditions for a ceasefire, including guarantees the war will not recur, closure of all US military bases in the region, full reparations from the US and Israel, an end to US and Israeli wars in the region, and a new legal framework cementing Iranian control over the Strait of Hormuz.

Trump has repeatedly claimed to already have won the war against Iran even though none of US imperialism’s objectives being met. Iran’s government remains in power and continues to pummel US and Israeli positions.

Despite threats to escort ships through the Strait of Hormuz and bomb Iranian civilian energy infrastructure, the Strait remains under Iranian control and the price of oil continues to rise. In a major concession, the Trump administration lifted oil sanctions on Iran in an attempt to ease oil prices that have been damaging US hegemony and its economy.

Amid the failures of US imperialism, Trump has turned to social media with ultimatums, threats, and claims of diplomatic developments that Iran has rejected as entirely delusional.

“Has the level of your internal conflicts reached the stage of negotiating with yourselves?” Iranian military spokesman Brig. Gen. Ebrahim Zolfaghari questioned.

Trump’s eagerness to end the war exposes the defeat of US imperialism by Iran for the second time in less than a year. Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi pointed out, “didn’t [the US] claim unconditional surrender [by Iran] before? So why are they now mobilizing their top officials to negotiate?”

The US is deploying thousands more troops to the Middle East and continues to threaten a ground invasion as its military setbacks pile up. An Iranian official warned the US may attempt to occupy an Iranian island critical to the country’s oil exports in an effort to gain control of the Strait of Hormuz. Both Iranian and US officials have said in recent weeks that a ground invasion would have disastrous consequences for the US.

Image: Iranians rally in honor of the martyrdom of Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei. Credit: Khamenei.ir Telegram Channel.


The Worker is an entirely volunteer-run revolutionary newspaper free from and radically antagonistic to corporate influence. We rely on the support of our readers to sustain our editorial line in service of the working class and the reconstitution of its party, the Communist Party. Make a one-time or recurring donation to our newspaper today:

Previous Article

ICE Murders Mexican Teenager While in Custody

Next Article

Trump Deploys ICE to Airports as TSA Employees Go Unpaid for Over a Month

You might be interested in …

‘Trump’s proposal’ is a continuation of colonial occupation, apartheid and genocide, but without the resistance – A Nova Democracia

We publish below an unofficial English translation of an article first appearing here on A Nova Democracia. Like a good fisherman in troubled waters, Trump calls the “Peace Council” what, in practice, is a capitulation […]